Housing Payment Deduction Scheme
The Australian Government has released an exposure draft of a Bill aimed at assisting in the prevention of evictions and possible homelessness of public housing tenants (including tenants of state owned and managed Indigenous housing) due to unpaid rent.
The Housing Payment Deduction Scheme will give affect to a recommendation in The Road Home – The Australian Government White Paper on Homelessness, and agreement by the Commonwealth and state and territory governments under the National Affordable Housing Agreement.
The Housing Payment Deduction Scheme will allow public housing costs required to be paid under a public housing lease to be deducted from the lessee’s income support payment providing they are either in arrears or are at risk of arrears.
Not all tenants of public housing will be included. Tenants will have deductions made from their income support payments as a last resort to prevent build-up of arrears and possible eviction from public housing.
The measure will also reduce the cost of managing arrears for public housing authorities, and for welfare organistions which assist people facing eviction due to non-payment of rent.
Making a Submission
Interested parties were invited to comment on the exposure draft. Submissions closed on 23 April 2013.
23 submissions were received from peak bodies, welfare, organisations, tenants advocates and legal services. Many organisations agreed that their submissions could be made public.
Links to these submissions are below.
- Australian Council of Social Service (ACOSS) DOCX 104kB
- City Of Sydney Councillor Irene Doutney DOCX 357kB
- Commonwealth Ombudsman DOCX 33kB
- Darwin Community Legal Service DOCX 50kB
- Homelessness Australia DOCX 834kB
- National Welfare Rights Network DOCX 154kB
- North Australian Aboriginal Justice Agency DOCX 84kB
- NSW Legal Aid DOCX 42kB
- PILCH Homeless Persons’ Legal Clinic DOCX 1MB
- Redfern Legal Centre DOCX 84kB
- Salvation Army DOCX 193kB
- Shelter SA DOCX 73kB
- Southern Suburbs Taskforce DOCX 16kB
- St Vincent de Paul Society DOCX 371kB
- Tenant’s Union of ACT DOCX 99kB
- Tenant’s Union of NSW DOCX 126kB
- Top End Women’s Legal Service Inc DOCX 19kB
- UnitingCare Children, Young People and Families DOCX 241kB
The submissions on this page are owned by the relevant agencies and individuals, and as such they are responsible for the factual accuracy and accessibility requirements at the time of publishing.
As a result of issues raised and recommendations made about the Housing Payment Deduction Scheme, amendments were made to the Public Housing Tenants Support Bill prior to its introduction into the Parliament on 29 May 2013.