Information for Couples

Who is eligible?

To be eligible for the $200 subsidy, you and your partner just need to be Australian citizens or permanent residents, aged 18 years or older, and in a committed relationship.

You and your partner can be at any stage of your committed relationship—you don’t have to be newly-weds, intend to marry, have children, or be living together.

[ Return to Top ]

How can relationship education or counselling help us?

Relationship education or counselling can help you cope with changes and challenges such as moving in together, having a baby, getting married or managing finances. Importantly, it can equip you with skills to deal with these changes and challenges before they become big issues.

[ Return to Top ]

What is the difference between relationship education and relationship counselling?

Relationship education aims to help you and your partner develop new ways of working together to keep your relationship happy and healthy.

Across one or more sessions, you will both learn new skills and strategies to solve issues that commonly arise in most relationships, as well as get advice about how to communicate effectively with each other.

Relationship counselling can also help you and your partner develop new skills and strategies, but unlike relationship education, it focuses on solving specific issues that have arisen within your relationship.

Working with both of you, the counsellor will help you to consider what is important to you in your relationship and discuss how you can both make the relationship stronger.

It may involve a single session or multiple sessions, depending on you and your partner’s needs.

[ Return to Top ]

How do we sign up?

It’s easy! Just click on the ‘Couples Registration’ green button on the right and you will enter directly into the ‘Couples Portal’ where you need to fill in information about you and your partner, such as your age and contact details.

You should register together as you will both be asked a series of questions.  Some of your answers, such as your birth dates, will be used by the service provider to verify your registration, so it’s important that you enter your details correctly.

When you’ve completed the process, you will be emailed a reference number which entitles you to the $200 discount. Once you receive this number, you can book in an appointment with any one of the approved providers listed on the Stronger Relationships Panel.

If you don’t have access to the internet or email, an approved provider may offer assistance to you to help you register online and receive a valid reference number.

[ Return to Top ]

Who can we see for relationship education or counselling?

A wide range of organisations , located throughout Australia, have signed up to provide relationship education or counselling as part of the Stronger Relationships trial. To find one located near you, visit the Stronger Relationships Panel page.

Please note that only the service providers listed on the Stronger Relationships Panel can accept the $200 subsidy.

[ Return to Top ]

What can we expect?

On your first meeting, your approved provider will assess your specific needs and goals and recommend the most appropriate support. This may include:

  • Five hours of face-to-face contact, or
  • Four hours for inventory-style pre-marriage education, and/or
  • Two hours of counselling.

[ Return to Top ]

Do we need to contribute to the cost of our relationship education or counselling?

The Australian Government understands the cost of relationship education or counselling can be high. This is why it is offering a $200 subsidy to help you and your partner maintain a happy and healthy relationship.

Depending on you and your partner’s needs, you may be required to make a small contribution towards your relationship education or counselling program. Service providers will discuss their fees with you prior to your appointment so you know what to expect. If you and your partner are unable to contribute, please raise this with the service providers when making a booking.

[ Return to Top ]

Other support

Couples who are not eligible for the trial are encouraged to contact the Family Relationships Advice Line on 1800 050 321 or visit Family Relationships Online for information on other available services.

[ Return to Top ]

Will the trial be evaluated?

The Stronger Relationships trial will be formally evaluated by the Institute for Social Science Research, University of Queensland.

Couples can choose to participate in the evaluation when they register for the trial.

More information

Last updated: