Access to DSS Longitudinal Datasets

  • Growing up in Australia: The Longitudinal Study of Australian Children (LSAC) 
  • The Household, Income and Labour Dynamics in Australia (HILDA) Survey
  • Footprints in Time: The Longitudinal Study of Indigenous Children (LSIC)
  • Journeys Home: A longitudinal study of factors affecting housing stability

1. General Information                                                    

DSS Fact Sheets

The DSS Fact Sheets provide outlines of the:

  • DSS licensing arrangements for the LSAC, HILDA, LSIC and Journeys Home datasets
  • responsibilities of Data Managers and users of DSS datasets

Available versions of the data

General Release data

All datasets contain the latest wave of data as well as all previous waves. Users can apply for more than one dataset using the same application form.

Unconfidentialised data

The Unconfidentialised data set contains more detailed information regarding children and their families than the General Release Data. For example, information such as date of birth and postcodes of residence are not included in the General Release Data. Other variables such as income and occupation may be top coded or transformed to ensure confidentiality is maintained. Only researchers with a demonstrated need will be given access to the Unconfidentialised data. As the files are large, the data needs to be analysed with a statistical package such as Stata, SAS or SPSS

2. Application Forms - Non-DSS staff


Non DSS staff must first check if their Organisation has signed an Organisational Deed of Licence by referring to the list at:

If your organisation has signed an Organisational Deed of Licence, please contact your Data Manager, whose name will be provided in the list above, for a Deed of Confidentiality to sign.

For Non DSS staff affiliated with an Organisation which has not signed an Organisational Deed of Licence, please email: for further information.

Non-DSS staff - Individuals

Researchers not seeking access to DSS datasets through an Organisational Licence need to complete an Individual Deed of Licence, either for Australian Academic and Government users or for Overseas Researchers.

Australian Academic and Government Users (Non DSS) 

* Completed forms are to be sent to

* Once your application has been approved, you will be sent an approval notification
email from DSS.


  • Only postgraduate students will be granted access and their supervisor must also have access.
  • Honours students will only be granted access under an Organisational Licence. 
  • Research assistants will only be granted access if a senior research officer from the same project has access.

Overseas Researchers

* Completed forms are to be sent to

* Once your application has been approved, you will be sent an approval notification
email from DSS.

 This deed is used to apply for access to DSS datasets by:

  • Overseas academics at a university
  • Overseas researchers working at private institutions whose primary business is research.             
    (Note: Applications will be considered on a case-by-case basis)
  • Overseas PhD students at a university. 
    (Note: Applications will only be granted in exceptional circumstances. Both the student and the supervisor must apply, and pay for, access to the same dataset, independently. The student and their supervisor must be at the same university)

For Assistance

If you have any questions about applying for the LSAC, HILDA, Journeys Home and LSIC datasets, please email

Last updated: