The Australian Government Department of Families, Housing, Community Services and Indigenous Affairs (FaHCSIA) is seeking to reallocate Disability Employment Assistance funding for up to 11 supported employment places in Stawell, Victoria. To that end, FaHCSIA is undertaking an Expression of Interest (EoI) process and is calling for submissions.
FaHCSIA invites interested organisations to lodge an initial EoI by 5.00pm AEST by Friday 31 May 2013. Applicants must address the Selection Criteria at Attachment A. The EoI should be no longer than 500 words per criterion. It must briefly describe how your organisation will provide high quality, sustainable supported employment opportunities in a competitive and successful business enterprise in Stawell.
ADEs are commercial enterprises enabling people with disability to engage in a wide variety of industries such as packaging, recycling, plant nursery, garden maintenance, cleaning, laundry and food services, to mention just some. Inclusive Employment 2012-2022 – A vision for supported employment (the Vision) describes a future where supported employment provides improved employment outcomes for people with disability. In particular, the Vision identified Social Enterprises as a future supported employment option for people with disability. Social enterprises are organisations that operate commercial enterprises to maximise improvements in human and environmental goals, rather than returning profits to shareholders.
Social Firms are one model of Social Enterprise that centres on supporting people with disability. For the purposes of this EoI, applications should describe how their organisation will establish a sustainable social firm that provides ongoing employment opportunities for people with disability.
The Australian Government funding to be offered relates only to the funding of support costs for supported employees. This funding will be provided according to the Case Based Funding model identified in the 2012-2015 Disability Employment Assistance Funding Agreement. There are no existing businesses or infrastructure in place and funding is not available for start-up costs or capital items.
In view of the need to expedite this process, it is FaHCSIA’s intention to undertake a short-listing of EoIs. Short-listed organisations may subsequently be asked to lodge a more detailed funding application. It should be noted that this EoI process may not proceed to finalisation.
Expressions of Interest must be lodged by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5.00pm AEST on Friday 31 May 2013.
Interested organisations requiring further information relating to the EoI process should email email@example.com.
Disability employment assistance for up to 11 supported employees in Stawell.
Selection Criteria (no longer than 500 words per criterion) - closing 5.00pm AEST Friday 31 May 2013.
The Selection Criteria are as follows:
- Demonstrate your organisation’s commitment to the high quality employment of people with disability in the area nominated above by outlining your business plan for the places available in that area. In particular:
- Demonstrate your understanding of the business opportunities and pressures in the advertised area
- Describe the business opportunity you intend to invest in to support the workers
- Articulate the potential roles (including career development) for workers with disability and how your organisation will work to maximise pay rates and hours of work for people with disability employed within the places
- Provide detail of required infrastructure, plant and equipment, your management and information costs, and how your organisation will meet these costs independently in the immediate and longer term future
- Provide detail of set up and ongoing costs
- Provide details of your communication and marketing strategy
- Demonstrate the intended staffing profile and required qualifications of management and support staff to support workers with disability
- Provide details of projected revenue over the next five years.
- Describe how your organisation is moving toward Inclusive Employment 2012-2022 - A vision for supported employment in terms of the key areas for transformation to achieve the Vision, including how you will immediately establish the Stawell site to be a social firm model of operation for employees with disability. In particular, the sites will:
- have a workforce which has at least 50 per cent of its employees without a disability
- pay all workers at either full award wages or productivity based pay pro-rata pay rates using the Supported Wage System
- provide the same work opportunities, rights and obligations to all employees
- generate the majority of their income through the commercial activity of the business; and
- have any modifications required for supported employees with disability built into the design of the workplace.
- Demonstrate the sound financial health of your organisation and describe how your organisation plans to transition into the new DisabilityCare Australia environment where government funding will be individually directed by consumer choice and control.
- Demonstrate the communication and change management processes that will be put in place to include existing people with disability, their families and carers as they transition to your organisation, should your bid be successful.