Working in the Department with Disability
DSS promotes an accessible and inclusive working environment for people with disability. As a department we recognise that employees with disability have talents, skills and qualifications they can bring to the organisation.
We believe these attributes and having a 'Disability Confidence' helps us shape results, business outputs and customer service.
Senior Level Disability Champion
Deputy Secretary Serena Wilson is currently the Senior Level Disability Champion for DSS employees with disability. The role of Senior Level Disability Champion involves:
Serena is responsible for.
- championing the interests of employees with disability within the executive and Senior Leadership Group
- present at internal events on inclusion of people with disability, such as International Day for People with Disability
- attend Disability Champion Events such as Champion breakfasts facilitated by the Australian Network on Disability
- participate in the DSS disability Leadership group
- host confidential, informal lunchboxes for staff with disability on a quarterly basis, throughout the year.
Services Support Groups and Awareness Programs
DSS is committed to assisting people with disability in the workplace to reach their full potential by providing a range of services, support groups and awareness programs. Examples of support we provide to prospective and current staff with disability include:
- a dedicated Disability Access Coordinator to confidentially discuss and arrange any requirements
- auslan Interpreters
- captioning services
- hearing loops
- dedicated centralised funds to cover reasonable adjustment costs for assistive technology and other workplace requirements
- trained mentors to support staff with Traineeships for People with Intellectual disability.
The Traineeship’s provide participants with on the job training as well as support in the completion of Certificate II in Business Administration spanning over an 18 month period. DSS is looking to introduce its next Traineeship to commence in 2012.
For further information please email email@example.com