Information Publication Scheme - Operational Information
Under subsection 8A(1) of the Freedom of Information Act 1982 (FOI Act) (as in force from 1 May 2011), the 'operational information' of an agency is:
... information held by the agency to assist the agency to perform or exercise the agency's functions or powers in making decisions or recommendations affecting members of the public (or any particular person or entity, or class of persons or entities).
Such information can include:
- Documents available to agency officers to assist them make decisions or recommendations under legislation or schemes that the agency administers;
- The decision or recommendation concerns a right, privilege or benefit of a member of the public, or an obligation, penalty or detriment to which a person may be subject;
- The document is in the nature of a manual, or contains an interpretation, rule, guideline, practice or precedent, including a letter of advice; the particulars of a scheme administered by the agency; a statement as to how legislation or a scheme will be administered or enforced; or a procedure followed by the agency in investigating breaches or evasions of legislation and schemes.
Details about the roles and functions of DSS can be found on DSS's website.
The documents listed as operational information, where they have not been published for downloading on DSS's website, can be made available to members of the public by contacting the Department's Freedom of Information Coordinator. Charges may apply where requests are made for information that is already available for downloading from DSS's website. The charges are published here:
If you have a query about a particular document, in the first instance, please refer to the contact details outlined in the document listing.
Other general enquiries about operational information should be made to:
The Freedom of Information Coordinator
Public Law Branch (TOP CW2)
Department of Social Services (DSS)
Canberra Business Centre ACT 2610
Telephone: (02) 6146 3181
Listing of DSS's Operational Information
- Community Engagement And Development Group
- Corporate Support Group
- Disability and Carers Group
- Families Group
- Gambling Reform & Community Support Group
- Housing And Homelessness Group
- Information Management Group
- Indigenous Community And Economic Develeopment Group
- Indigenous Leadership And Engagement Group
- Office Of Remote Indigenous Housing Group
- Women And Children Policy Group