This Quick Reference Guide is designed to assist service providers to meet their GST requirements. It provides contact details of organisations that can assist or provide detailed information on the GST. The areas covered in this Quick Reference Guide are:
- General GST information and queries
- Difficulty in resolving business issues
- Receiving grants payments from the Department
- Keeping up-to-date with draft and final tax rulings
- Further Information
General GST information and queries
If you have general questions about the GST and/or GST questions relating to your specific industry:
- phone the Business Tax Enquiry Infoline on 13 28 66
- write to the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) at PO Box 9935 in your capital city
- seek clarification of major issues through the Charities Consultative Committee
- refer to the Australian Taxation Office website
Difficulty in resolving business issues
If your organisation is experiencing particular difficulties in resolving GST problems through the ATO, you can contact the Commonwealth Ombudsman's Office on the office's National Complaints line number 1300 362 072
Receiving grants payments from the Department
The following resources outline what you need to do to ensure that your enterprise can receive and continue to receive grants or payments from the Department. These are easily accessible to service providers on FaHCSIA 's website. The resources are:
- Circular 1A (for private sector providers)
- Circular 2 (for service providers)
- Help Line - phone the Department's Tax Manager on (02) 6244 8647. You can ask any questions about the Department publications dealing with GST, and how the GST affects the grant or payment you receive from the Department. The Help Line cannot provide tax advice or help you with general tax questions.
[ top ]
Keeping up-to-date with draft and final tax rulings
Draft and final tax rulings, which may impact the GST treatment of grants and payments from the Department, can be accessed through the Australian Taxation Office website.
If you have any questions about this Department Sheet, please telephone the Department's Tax Manager on (02) 6244 8647.
People considering issues relating to the application of the GST should not solely rely on the information in this Quick Reference Guide. Further, comprehensive advice relevant to your particular circumstances should be obtained either from the Australian Taxation Offiice or from an appropriate professional advisor.