This paper provides a snapshot of the number and demographic characteristics of income support recipients in 2003.
Key highlights from the paper include:
- information on eligibility criterion for income support payments administered by the former Australian Government Department of Families, Community Services and Indigenous Affairs (FaCSIA)
- time series data for income support payments from 1993–2003
- data on customer characteristics, such as age, gender, country of birth, state and territory, home ownership, duration on payment and income
- working-age income support payment data, including customers who were unemployed, studying, mature-age or unable to support themselves
- information on payments to assist families with the costs of raising children and child care support services
- details on supplementary and concession card payments
- an overview of the diversity and economic importance of Australia's social security arrangements with overseas countries.
This publication is expected to provide a ready source of payment information and data for government, university and research institutions, community organisations, and international welfare agencies.