The key priorities of the Department of Families, Housing, Community Services and Indigenous Affairs (FaHCSIA) are to:
- increase social and economic participation
- improve social cohesion
- close the gap on Indigenous disadvantage
- support basic living standards, and
- support individuals, families and communities to build their capacity.
FaHCSIA is the Australian Government’s principal source of advice on social policy and works in partnership with other government and non-government organisations to manage a diverse range of programs and services designed to support and improve the lives of Australians. FaHCSIA has whole-of-government responsibilities in relation to Indigenous affairs and women.
This statistical overview covers FaHCSIA income support customers, and some income support payments offered through other Australian Government departments. Unless otherwise indicated, the statistics relate to the relevant pay periods closest to 30 June 2011. These periods will generally be within a fortnight either side of that date.
Key sections of the overview are:
- payments for older people, people with disability and those caring for people with disability, severe medical conditions, or those who are frail aged
- student- and labour market–related payments
- family assistance
- other payments and services
- pensioners paid overseas.