Portfolio: Communications, Information Technology and The Arts
Why is this important?
- The return of Indigenous cultural property to the traditional custodians and places of rest is extremely important to Indigenous communities and the Australian Government.
- This initiative will continue Australian Government funding to the Return of Indigenous Cultural Property (RICP) Programme.
- It is estimated that the eight major Australian museums participating in the current RICP Programme collectively hold 7070 ancestral remains and 11,448 secret-sacred objects.
Who will benefit?
- The domestic repatriation of Australian Indigenous ancestral remains and secret or sacred objects from the collections of the eight major museums will benefit the communities of origin.
What funding is the Government committing to the initiative?
- The Australian Government will continue this programme by providing a further $4.7 million over four years.
What have we done in the past?
- The RICP Programme commenced in 1999-2000. The Australian Government contributed $1.5 million over three years with matched funding from the states and territories.
When will the initiative conclude?
- This is an ongoing initiative.