Portfolio: Health and Ageing
Why is this important?
- Around 200 Indigenous health services currently provide more than 1.6 million episodes of care annually. It is important that these services are of the highest quality.
- The majority of Indigenous health services are not yet fully accredited against Australian health care standards.
- This initiative will ensure Indigenous health services have upgraded buildings and clinics, patient information and management systems, staff training, and management support to enable them to meet Australian health care standards.
Who will benefit?
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander families and communities will benefit from high quality and better managed Indigenous health services that are accredited against the same standards as mainstream health services.
What funding is the Government committing to the initiative?
- The Australian Government will provide $36.9 million over four years.
What have we done in the past?
- In 2006-07, the Australian Government provided $385 million to Indigenous primary health services. This initiative will ensure that government funding is used to deliver quality health services.
When will the initiative conclude?
- The initiative will be reviewed in the 2011-12 Budget.