Following the appointment of the Australian Government Ministry there will be some important changes to the Department.
The Department’s name has changed from the Department of Families, Housing, Community Services and Indigenous Affairs to the Department of Social Services. Some functions will also be moving in or out of the Department, although this will take some time so work continues as business as usual.
Some of our functions are moving to the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet:
- Indigenous Affairs
- Office for Women.
As a result of the Administrative Arrangement Order released on 18 September 2013, the Department of Social Services are responsible for the following matters:
- Ageing research
- Income security and support policies and programmes for families with children, carers, the aged, people with disabilities and people in hardship
- Income support policies for students and apprentices
- Services for families with children, people with disabilities and carers
- Services for older people, including their carers
- Policy for and promotion of active ageing, other than employment policy
- Community mental health
- Community support services
- Family relationship, Family and Children’s Support Services
- Social housing, rent assistance and homelessness
- Child support policy
- Housing affordability
- Services to help people with disabilities obtain employment
- Arrangements for the settlement of migrants and humanitarian entrants, other than migrant child and migrant adult education
- Non-profit sector and volunteering
- Multicultural affairs